Stephanie Cavoli, Massage Therapist, Shamanic Herbailist and Proprietor of Santuary Massage in upstate New York is our second success story and #BizCrush feature.
Stephanie shares with us here some great insights and tips here as to how to care for yourself, your clients and your staff to build a successful therapy business. Stephanie is a kindred spirit and I’ve always enjoy her facebook posts and shares, her positive energy spoke to me before she became a club member and she has long been impressing me with her wise advice and giving nature in not only the Abundant Beauty Business Club facebook group but in many others. She gives great advice and shares some of her secrets here to excelling in customer service that has helped her build a booming holistic massage practice. Let’s dive deeper into Stephanie’s business practices and personal philiosophies. Enjoy! And thank you Stephanie, may your light shine xx
Describe your business services, brand and USP?
Our studio focuses on massage services along with scrubs, aromatherapy and herbal oils. While we do offer deeper work, our clients visit us because we have a reputation for really listening to our clients. We make sure each client gets what they really need. We also specialize in more gentle, focused massage.
Who is your ideal client and how do you a) attract them and b) keep them?
Our Ideal client is a Woman between 30 & 65 who understands or would like to connect more with the idea of Self-care. She is probably already interested in or has dabbled in alternative medicine and is on track for a healthier lifestyle.
A. We utilize our email list, word of mouth and connections with other local businesses to get the attention of our clients.
B. We have amazing retention. Keeping clients is about amazing services, meeting and exceeding expectations, being able to ask for the rebooking, following through, listening to our clients and their needs as well as offering the best customer service possible.
What are you passionate about?
I am passionate about my practice, helping people feel amazing, spending time in nature, and herbal medicines!
What are you most grateful for and most proud of in your business?
My staff! Not only are they amazing at what they do, they go out of their way to support me when I need it! I am most proud of being able to work with families. When someone brings in their spouse or children to be under my care, it’s such a great feeling. I also really love helping people feel comfortable in their own bodies again.
What does success mean to you and do you have a plan to achieve it?
Success is happiness & freedom! Success is also meeting our monthly and yearly sales goals! Each month is planned out with specials or offers and our spending budgets are set. As I move forward I would love to help others understand how to offer exceptional customer service. Those plans are just beginning.
What principles do you adopt to manage your team?
- First is making sure the team member is the perfect fit! It’s important that their philosophies on their work, customer service etc. match the general philosophies of the studio.
- Expectations for my team and their expectations of me are crystal clear. This starts with their contract and requires constant communication.
- Freedom! I never micro-manage. I truly believe that if my team members are allowed to do things their way(sometimes with guidance), allowed to embrace the things that motivate them the most, offer options and services they are passionate about then they will thrive and love coming to work.
- Good pay! Right off the bat, our team gets what they deserve.
- Respect! If I can’t or won’t do it, I don’t ask them to. Genuine thank you’s, praise, and going out of my way to support them are all top priorities to me.
What are your 5 top tips for self care as a therapist and business owner?
1. Listen to your body; it will tell you what you need. Do it!
2. Brain Dump!
At least once a week, take every single thing you are stressing about and get it onto paper. (evernote app is great for this) go back and organize all these thoughts into a to do list. It will feel so much better.
3. Take at least one day off each week.
4. Follow your own schedule as best you can. Work when you are naturally most productive or energetic.
5. Systems, systems, systems! Get yourself organized. Take the time to create policies and procedures. When everyday things become routine you don’t need to spend the extra time figuring it out over and over again.
What are your 5 top tips on selfcare for clients:
- Listen to your body; it will tell you want you need. Do it!
- Self-care is not selfish!
- Take some time to figure out what really fills your well! Say yes more often to those things.
- Learn to say no to the things that really drain your energy.
What are your 5 top tips for taking excellent care of your customers?
- Walk your talk! Practice your own self care and give yourself some time to fully come into the space before working with your clients.
- Listen to your clients! Ask how you are doing, what they are needing, what you can do better. Get crystal clear about their own goals, and how they would like to achieve it. Check in with them before and after every service to ensure you are both on the same page.
- Remember that this is about your client. Keep your bad days & personal lives to yourself. Clients are not our friends, and it’s easy to loose focus when we are worried about whats going on in our worlds. If a client asks make sure your answers are short and sweet then switch the focus back to them. While a handful won’t mind, most polite clients don’t say anything and then move on.
- Make everything easy on them. From your booking process to check out and following up after sessions, create policies that make this easy for the client. Things like booking online, confirmation emails, with directions or important information info like dress code or cancellation policy, easy payments, saying thank you, follow up emails to check in are all ways to set you apart! The easier you make their life, the more often they will want to work with you.
- Love what you do! I promise you, clients know the difference.
What are your goals and ambitions for 2017 and where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
2017 is the 5th anniversary of operating Sanctuary Massage. This will be the year I really dive into my sales forecasts and budgeting, and gear up for positioning my business for long term success. I am currently working on a Self-Care work book that I would love to fine tune and publish. I am super excited about branching out into helping other professionals offer amazing customer service and gain retention. In 5 years, I would love to have most of my massage clients enrolled in programs to honor their self-care and well-being. I also hope to be considered as one of the top Go-To Professionals you come to help you solve all of your client care needs! It would be amazing if I could connect with memberships like The Abundant Beauty Biz Club to share what I’ve come to learn.